Thursday, January 8, 2009

Engaged in 08, Just Fine in 09

As the calendar turned to 2009, I was trying to recall my 08 resolutions to see how I did. I thought I had promised something about being a kinder, more generous person, getting more involved in church, better stress management, and getting over my divorce. Or maybe that's just what I had actually spent the year doing.

Without looking at my 08 Rebolutions, I cited my accomplishments as follows:
1. I am a triathlete. (and a duathlete!)
2. I got involved in my church.
3. I donated a week of my summer vacation to the poor folk of Appalachia; and was a good role model for 20+ teens.
4. I learned how to do my job better.
5. I was a good friend to friends in need.
6. I attacked house projects in full force.
7. I asked for help, sometimes.
8. I bonded with my dog, except when I was plotting to accidentally lose him.
9. I formed new relationships, strengthened old ones, and moved on from dead ones.
10. I was a good auntie, sister, and daughter.
11. I shoveled, raked, and mowed. But mostly shoveled.

Haven't set specific goals for 09. Mainly I think its about just reminding myself "I'm fine in 09" as my friend, Doris, says.

I did run a lot in the first half of 08 but I've cut way back on running since the triathlon. I avoid it because it is hard, and even with my inhaler I cough a lot and wheeze. (I don't think I get good strong hits for some reason...) And I cut way back on biking and swimming, too. Dammit. BUT, alas, there will be a triathlon again in July 09 and I will train and be even stronger, faster, better than I was last July. To my credit, I have not given up exercise all together. I just shifted my focus to yoga, flexibility, balance, and strength training. Prepping my body for the cardio workouts that will pick up in frequency and intensity over the next several months. Winter sucks but I have strong associations now between the dark drive home from work and the wonderful rhythmic relaxing sensation of swimming since I did so much of it last year in the winter/spring's darkness. I swam last night (well technically took an H2O class, but got in a suit and spent 45 minutes in the water exercising) and have a couple of other times. I still dread that cold water. But really do love swimming. Will take some spin classes this year to get some winter biking in. Got a new mirror for my bike and also plan to add new pedals and shoes, maybe aero bars, and a light. New bike toys are fun.


Here is the real review of 08. I give myself an 85%. I still tend to run late and need to learn the whole still while awake thing since usually stillness for me equals sleep.

1. Be still. YES! I am the soundest sleeper you'll ever meet. Except when I'm super anxious and spinny.
2. Run. YES! Especially the first 9 months.
3. Be on time. Even early sometimes. YES! I mean NO! I'm later than ever before. Consistently 3-11 minutes late for work. I almost was 10 minutes early this morning (on a 7am start day, too!) so I stopped at Starbucks to kill some time and still arrived 3 minutes early
4. Engage. Fully. In the moment. Pay attention. Be alert. YES! http://eckharttolle.com/the_power_of_now
5. Read more. More everything! YES, but still not enough. Read more news, need to read more books.
6. Breathe more deeply. YES! well except when I don't breathe at all.
7. Be decisive/worry less/stop complicating things. Order more quickly. Procrastinate less, especially at work. Okay, and and home. YES, better
8. OHIO - Keep papers organized and filed/recycled/shredded at home. YES! Better.
9. Be greener. YES Fluorescent lights, buying more organic, more soy milk and less cow's milk, tried soy yogurt (gross.), composted all summer long, recycling Lean Cuisine containers (didn't realize you could!), keep driving my Civic though I'd like a new and bigger car, keep my heat low, unplug appliances when not in use.
10. Leave a light on. YES! I am super vigilant about how I leave my house. 95% of my bulbs are now energy star compact fluorescent lights. And the last few months my electric bills are way lower- these things really work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

number seven of your accomplishments is, IMO, huge.
tremendous.

the key to living a balanced life.

or wait.

we werent talking about me were we?:)

you did so many amazing things in 08, Woman. (ok except for maybe number 8 :))

Did unto others SO often.

inspiring.

MizFit

Anonymous said...

I love your list! I think it's amazing how much you did, and how much you aim to do. I wish I had your inner drive!

-Eli